Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 2: Muddy- Binary Numbers & Motherboards


This week, we divulged into unknown territory for me. The concepts and the staggering amount of information we received is overwhelming and definitely muddy. The capacity of knowledge I have on the intricacies of how technology and computers work is limited. My mind was blown a little bit this week by just how many miniscule parts are involved in a computer, but the immensity of their purpose. We started out with the concept of binary numbers. This concept was somewhat clear to me, although I am not proficient in my understanding of it. Computers are binary devices. Every single keystroke, character, letter, and number is transformed into a binary number. The binary number system only has two digits, either a zero or a one. Our traditional number system has 10 digits (0-9). The binary number system uses a two as it base, rather than a 10. (2^2 instead of 10^2). Each key on the keyboard equals a unique binary number, which are stored in “bits” or “bytes.” The website and video listed below gives further information on the unique numbering system.

http://www.binarymath.info/



*Permission granted for reuse by YouTube Standard License

As we moved further into the course material for this week’s lesson, I began to get more confused and could not really wrap my head around the way certain things worked. For example, when looking at the terminology and diagram on pages 24-25, I felt very confused. I do not understand all of the components of the motherboard. This area of material for this week will require further research and studying to fully comprehend the ways in which it works.



No comments:

Post a Comment